The Stables Family of Barnburgh
The Barnburgh line of the Stables Family began some time between 1705 and 1725, when Henry Stables, his wife and children moved from Sprotbrough to Barnburgh.
The picture on the right is of St. Peter's Church, Barnburgh, where many of our oldest ancestors are buried. In fact most of the surviving Stables Family headstones are visible in this photograph (on either side of the path).
The Barnburgh Stableses were comparatively wealthy throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, with significant parcels of land held within the parish. They were farmers, and well-educated, but over the course of the last three hundred years the land-holdings diminished and latterly many of their descendents were unable to read or write. Many of the children moved away and eventually all the remaining Stableses end-up working at Barnburgh Pit.
George Stables, the great-grandfather of Tony (the only remaining Stables in Barnburgh today), was the Sinker for Barnburgh Pit. He was the first person employed at the mine and Tony, his great-grandson, was the last person to leave when it closed after three generations.
Before becoming a miner, George was renowned for his ploughing and thatching skills. He won the county championships on a number of occasions and the Stableses are still remembered for their legendary prowess within the village today.
Extract from The South Yorkshire Times. Dated February 1917.
This transcript was taken from the research notes of Victor Stables.
Mr William Stables was an undertaker at Barnburgh.