The Definitive History of the Surname STABLES in Yorkshire

Site Search by PicoSearch. Help

Home > Family History > Leeds Area > Harewood > The Notices > Pages 121 to 130

"The Notices of the Stables Family"
by William Stables (1794-1862)

Page 121  Her parents had several relations and friends in London, and in July
1795, when she was about twenty two years of age, she went to visit them, and
spent ten weeks in the Royal city. While she was there, a Hugh Maltby, a young
man, who had gone from the same neighbourhood as hers, to London some
time before, found her out, and paid very polite attention to her, attending her
to see the various curiosities, in and about the place. She did not consider him
in the character of a suitor, so much, as that of an old acquaintance, and if he
did say anything to her on the subject, it was only a little while before she left
the Metropolis. Afterwards, however, she was very much annoyed by his
importuning letters, one of which contained his portrait, and he once came
from London to see her. But she steadily refused to receive him, in the
character of a lover, and when at last he was despairingly beat off, he
indignantly told her, that his attentions to her had cost him fifty pounds. After
her marriage, Father would sometimes, when in merry mood, tell her that her
London visit and ideas, had very very near ruined her.
It was some Westerns (west county shearers), who had been har vesting for
Matthias Skilbeck at Healaugh, and who afterwards came to shear at Compton,
that first recommended her future husband to Sarah Midgley. They reported of him
that "he had an eye in his head that would fetch a duck off a dike," It was his
brother in law, William Wilson, who was the means of first getting them together.
From beginning to end, their courtship lasted about two years. But a part of this
time it was entirely broken off. For just about the time that Father spoke fair to
her, she was also assailed by a John Barrett of Leeds. He was a very amiable,
sensible, agreeable, and pious young man, was in many respects suited to her
views, and his addresses were received with some degree of complaisance. When,
however, he had attended to her a while, and things began to wear a serious
aspect, she became acquainted with the fact that his family was afflicted with
scrofula, or Kings evil. If no doubt, occasioned a serious struggle between her
affections and her prudence, but the latter triumphed, and he was resolutely
dismissed, and when at his urgent request, she toll him her reason for so acting,
he wept most bitterly, and fret afterwards very much.
Though at one point, she had considerable perplexity-of mind, which of
them to receive, but at length, like a prudent young woman, having decided to
encourage John Barrett, poor Father was dismissed. She in an equally prudent
manner, wrote to Father candidly informing him that she was now at liberty,
and provided his feelings towards her were stil the same, she would not object to
have another interview with him. It was from this circumstance that
sometimes, for many years after their marriage, he would jocularly tell her
that she wrote him a letter as long as his arm, to invite him back again.
As father, at the time he applied to Sarah Midgley, had no home of
his own, now any visible property. her parents felt some hesitancy
about sanctioning his attentions to their daughter. Her father, however,
took occasion to get into the way of his father at Wetherby, at which place
both usually attended every market day.W M. Midgley told him that his son
was paying some attention to their daughter, and pointedly enquired what
he would do for him. When Matthias, equally candidly, informed him, that
if his son
Page 122 could make a suitable match, he would, on his marriage, give him a
thousand pounds, to begin business with. Wm. Midgley seemed rather
astonished and confounded at the mention of a sum so much beyond what he
expected, and was not equally well prepared to give answer to the
enquiries that Mr, Skilbeck embraced the opportunity-of putting to Mr.
Midgley. In the end, however, he said that if the young folks could
agree, he would on their marriage, give up the farm and Malt Kiln to
them immediately.
The result of so much negotiation was that they were married
Novr. 11th, 1797, he being 27 and she 24 years of age. In his marriage,
father was highly favoured for in Sarah Midgley he found a wife of no
common order. In her he found good sense, prudent conduct, strong
affection, and a tenderness and sympathy which is but rarely found.
When she was confined of her first child, Sarah, Decr. 22nd, 1798. she
had a narrow escape from death. She was safely delivered, and the medical
man (Mr. Cooper of Wetherby) left her, as the phrase is, "doing very
nicely". He had not, however, been gone long, before an alarming alteration
took place, occasioned by the stopage of the after discharge, She became
feverish, and uneasy. The doctor was again sent for, but he refused to come,
saying he had only just left her so nicely, and comfor-table. She getting
worse, became delirious, and even raving, requiring three or four persons to
hold her in bed. Of these father was one. In her delirium she was extremely
cross with him, scolding him very much for his unfeeling conduct in not
letting her get up, which almost broke poor Father's heart. A second
messenger however, brought Mr. Cooper, who immediately let her blood, which
gave immediate relief, and on Father's going into the room, a little
time,after, she smiled on him with such ineffable sweetness and complacency,
as instantly to heal the wounds she had so unconsciously made.
When sister Elisabeth was a little girl, so little as still to suck
her mother's breast, she was one day enjoying it, when Father came in and
began to play (1810) with her, and in their play, she gave mother's breast a
smart nip, only small indeed, seeming to be only of the skin, but causing a
keen smart for the moment. Next morning, when dressing, she observed a drop
of blood on her linen. A little surprised at it, and wondering from whence
it could have come, she remembered the nip, and trying her breast, another
drop of blood issued at the nipple.
After a while a small pimple, - looking substance arose on the outside
of the breast, which soon increased to the size of a field bean. Consulting
their medical man (Mr. Beaumont of Wetherby), he advised her to have it cut
out, telling her it would soon be well, at Mr. Beaumont being only a young
man, just commencing business, she felt a little reluctant to submit to an
operation by him. They, accordingly, applied to Mr. Hey, an eminent surgeon
at Leeds. She used to go and return on the same day. He recommended a
different mode of treatment, and applied leeches, mercurial plasters &c.
Under his care she continued for some time, but did not obtain any relief.
Being disappointed of obtaining any relief by attending Mr. Hay, at
the recommendation of her Father-in-law, Matthias Skilbeck, she went to
consult and be under the care of Mark Stubbs, who at that time resided at
Sheriff-Hutton, a large village about ten miles northeast of York,
He was not a regularly educated surgeon, but had been with the Whitworth
doctors, and practised on their plans. At Sheriff Hutton she remained nine
weeks and returned home to 'confined of sister Jane (born Jun.
11, 1812.)
Page 123  About five weeks after her confinement, Father took her and the infant,
with their daughter Martha to nurse it and their mother, to the famed
Whitworth doctor, James Taylor, at Whitworth, in Lancashire. There she
remained fourteen long and tedious weeks, and there she suffered not a little.
The black, bleak, barren, mountainous appearance of the country, the poverty,
dirt and rags, of its scattered inhabit= ants, their peculiar manner of living,
though they might sometimes tempt a feverish smile, het under her peculiar
circumstances, far more frequently caused the heaving sigh, and longing look
towards her more favoured home. The mode of treatment they adopted towards
her, (and indeed nearly to all they took in hand) was a peculiar burning kind of
salve, which they called "Keen" to burn or eat out the cancer. This was
applied every alternate day, and such was the pain and agony it occasioned, that
she usually kept her bed that day. After enduring this kind of torture for the
period above mentioned, the old and principal doctor pronounced her cured. The
other doctor, the old man's nephew, however, expressed some doubts, about it being
a permanent cure, and thought there was one corner where the roots of the
cancer were not sufficiently keened out. On her part, after so long a separation
from her husband, and her family, it is not at all surprising that she ardently
desired to return. And when she did return, accompanied by the pleasing Hope,
that the object of her journey was attained, it is no wonder that the tear of joy
should sparkle in her eyes, on again embracing her beloved husband and amiable
When she had been at home a while, it became evident that the care
they had professed to perform on her breast, was (to use a hospital phrase)
on "relieved", and came far short of a radical extermination of the complaint.
For she had very frequently acute pain, and the substance continued
gradually to increase. After enduring its growth, pain, and the anxiety of
mind occasioned by it, for about six years, from their leaving Whitworth, it
was resolved again to go to them.
But on their again appearing, the old doctor candidly told them there was no
remedy, but cutting off the breast. (1818)
In great dejection of mind, they again returned home, it when the
distressing news was communicated to her loving family, a scene of
weeping and sorrow took place which it is not easy to describe.
She next sought relief from a Mr. Taylor, surgeon of Wakefield. If he was
not one of the family, at least he had had his education and training with the
Whitworth doctors. To him she went in order to have the cancer cut out of
her breast. The skin was first taken off and turned back from nearly the
whole breast, It was then cut away to the amount of fourteen ounces, and
after the veins were properly tied, the skin was again brought over it. She
bore the cutting part of the business very well, but when they began to tie up
the veins, she fainted away. The weather at that time was very hot, and
sultry, and the faint smell, arising from such an extensive wound, constantly
ascending to her nose, caused her to be very feeble and weak in body, and
rather dejected in spirits. (1818)
Page 124  After she had thus endured the operation, the wound healed up as well
as could be expected, but at times she had very acute shooting pains in the
part of the breast left on. After enduring these for most of two years, they
again applied to Mr. Taylor of Wakefield, who twice came over and applied to
the part affected some black-looking ointment, much more severe and burning
than the terrible "Keen". The agony she suffered from these applications were
indescribably, and soon after them her general health began to fail. During
the winter between 1819 and 20, she had a severe cough. Towards the spring the
cough abated, but was succeeded by diabetes. This long continued, and her
legs began to swell until they were a frightful size. These symptoms were
accompanied by an almost entire loss of appetite, and as 1820 passed on, a
very great wasting of flesh and strength. For many years, nearly from the
time of her marriage, she had been very fleshy, and had a remarkably broad
back; but her flesh masted away, and she gradually became oppressed with a
difficulty of breathing, and during the summer and in the autumn, it so
increased on her that she could not
it down in bed, and had to be propped up in a bed chair. She was not much
worse than usual, until at last, the scene closed rather suddenly, life ebbing
out very hardly Jany. 11th, 1821, she being 48 years of age. Her death was
always attributed by Father to the great sufferings she had endured in her
breast, combined with her time of life. The immediate cause of death was
termed water in the chest. Had she survived much longer, it is not to say
what her sufferings might have been, for at her death both her breasts were as
hard as a stone.
At what precise time she became a professor of religion, I cannot
ascertain, but I have always understood that it was when she was a grown
young woman, and some considerable time before her marriage, and that
there was about in the neighbourhood a great revival, which was principally
promoted and carried on by some praying Colliers, from a distance in the
West Riding. About the same time, too, both her sisters became professors.
Her sister Susannah was the leading spirit among them in religion, I have
been given to understand that mother in law did not attain to a very clear
experience of the favour of God, but was until near the close of life harrassed
with doubts of her accep- tance in the beloved, Nearly her last words to my
wife, not long beofre her exit, "There on a green and flowery mount, I'll
bathe my weary soul, and not a wave of trouble roll, across my weary breast."
Page 125  I have not been able to learn much of her ancestors and relations. The
following is the substances Her mother was left a widow on the farm, and Malt
House at Compton, near Collingham. Her widowed name was
Wright, her husband named Jonathan. She had two sons and three daughters. and
after some time married William Midgley. Her two sons and two of her daughters,
when grown up, went to London, and the two sons were very respectably engaged
as linen drapers. One of them came down to visit his friends in Yorkshire about
1824 or 5, and stayed some time at Compton, from whence he cams to visit us. He
appeared a Very respectable man from 55 to 60 years of age. The two daughters
both married in London, one very well and the other got a very bad and faithless
husband. One daughter remained with her mother, (Elizabeth, born Novr. 9th,
1776), and was married to An. Margerison, who had Collingham Mill, and for
many years, they and their family, were a great plague and drag to the
family at Compton. Mrs. Wright, after her marriage to NM. Midgley, had three
1st.--Sarah, born Decr. 27th, 1772, married to Richard Skilbeck
Novr. 11th, 1797, died Jany 11th, 1821, aged 48 years, as before narrated
2nd Susannah, born Feby. 25th, 1774; married when rather young,
the first of the sisters, to William Margerison. (Note by T. B. Dunn, the
copyist-evidently an error here--ther could hardly have been two of the
name)--They were both very hearty Methodists, lived on a small farm at
Collingham. He wrought very-hard, carted many coals (?), but nothing
prospered in their hands, and having a largo family of rough awkward
children, they were reduced to poverty, and at length emigrated to the
United States of America, mother-ln-law giving them part of her portion to
enable them to do so. Both she and her husband died not very long after they
got there. Some of the children died also, but those that remained had all got
married and settled, the last account of them, some of them doing very well,
others in but humble life. One of the sons from Richmond, in Virginia, visited
England about 1827 or 8, and stayed some weeks about Collingham, and came to
see us. He was an intelligent man. and in respectable circumstances, and from
him I got much information of the United States.
3rd. Rebekah, born Feby. 21st, 1776; Married to Abraham Beetham, then a
farmer at Scarcroft. He afterwards bought and went to occupy a farm at
Gatenby, near Beedale. Sometime before his death, he sold his farm to the
Duke of Cleveland, for so much money, and rented it, at a rent to pay so much
percent on the cost pries. I understand it was a great rent, and after his death,
his son William could not make it do, and to get it lowered, discharged himself.
But they took his discharge, and let the farm to another which, it is said, he
took so much to heart, that he died soon after. Abraham and Rebekah Beetham
had throe children that lived to maturity; John, married to a Miss Wheel, at
West Harlsey, near North Allerton, occupying a large farm belonging to the Earl
of Harewood. He kept some Highland stock that he shows for prizes, used to be
a loose sort of Methodist. They had several children. I once spent a night at
their house, but we have had no intercourse for several years. Mary Ann, a very
rough young woman, a member of Methodist Society, married to John
:Braithwaite, of Stokesby, farmer and cattle dealer. They had a large family.
They were once at our house, not long after their
Page 126 marriage. I once, after several years, met with him at Harrogate, in
a poor state of health. The third child of Abraham and Rebekah Beetham was
William. When growing up to manhood he was a very amiable, agree- able young
man, but I do not know that ever he was a professor of reli= gion. Either before
or after his father's death he succeeded him on the farm, and occupied it for
about ten years, but he gradually became a drinker, and at length was
dreadfully carried away with the besetment. His housekeeper being pregnant by
him, he married her, and I think she was left with three children, and only with
slender means. He and the dear farm, having wasted a considerable part of the
good portion his saving-kind of father left him at his death.
Rebecca Beetham died March 6th, 1835 aged 59. Abraham Beetham
died Mar 23rd, 1841, aged 79.

After the marriage of my father-in-law and Sarah Midgley, the farm
and business was given up to them. Her father continued to reside with
them (her mother had been dead a number of years before their marriage), and
lived most of twenty years after, and was a very deal of trouble, He had not
sufficient mind and resolution, entirely to renounce the business, but would
keep interfering with father and his plans of proceeding. And as he grew old
was s very uneasy old man, and was a vast (?) of trouble in the family. He had
reserved a little property for his on support, but he never gave them anything
for his board. For, as he saw them thriving on the farm, he considered that
they ought to keep him for having given up the farm to them, but when he
went to stay a little with his daughter Rebekah, he always paid them for his
board, so that in one way or another, they always contrived to get all his
money, and when I went to visit Martha, Father told me that it was one thing in
my favour that I had a clear home to bring her to, for that he had suffered so
much from his father-in-law, that he would never consent for any of his
daughters to go to old folks.
It was in March, 1821, only some 8 or 10 weeks after the decease of Mother-
in-law, when his brother Robert having discharged himself from the old family
farm at Healaugh, was on the look out for another. Through the friends of a
person already in that neighbourhood, they heard of one belonging to the Marquis
of Exeter, at Wittering, near Stamford in Northamptonshire, which was reported
of, as being worth looking after. His brother applied to him, and wished him to go
with him to look at it, and taking with them Mr. Tenant, of Skewkirk, near
Tockwith, they made their way to the place, It was 115 miles from Compton, on
what was then the direct London road, so that he could go by coach from
Wetherby to Stamford, which was only three miles from Witter-ring. On looking
over the farm, his brother Robert did not think it would suit him. Father seemed
to view it with something different eyes, and the upshot of the business was, that
then and there, Father contracted for the farm himself, from year to year.
The reasons which induced Father to take such a step - - a step for
which he was much censured by some at the time, were probably such as
follow. He had then a numerous family consisting of sight fine, bright, active
children. He had two daughters already up to 'women, with others fast at
their heels. His son Matthew, a fine, thoughtful, steady lad, was in his
Page 127 year, and his brother Richard was fifteen, so that it was probable that
in a few years. at most, he would want a situation for Matthew, and as
what he thought an eligible one now offered, he thought it was his duty
to close in with it.
What was termed the land fever, had not yet entirely subsided,
The fictitious state of the currency during the long wars of the French
Revolution. in which England had been engaged, had caused agricultural
produce to fetch a something more than renumerating price, by which a bays
(?) for farming had seized the community generally, and the man which
could catch a farm, was counted a happy man. It is true that prices had
considerably retrograded since the peace, about four years before, but were
still far from that low, ruinous, depression which has since been felt. In
such a vortex of general feeling, it is to me no wonder that Father (who
is by ((?)) means vain of. or bigoted in his own judgment) should be
persuaded to engage an additional farm, when it thus fell in his way.
Another argument that may be urged in his favour (but, alas: it
is one that only a few can appreciate the weight of). Father had been
married, he had been uncommonly happy in that relation. His wife he loved
most tenderly, most passionately, and he loved to the end. This amiable
wife he had just buried, and after being accustomed to her presence and
smiles for more than twenty three years, she became so associated with his
ideas, of almost every thing and place about him, that now when he had
lost her, he mourned as a dove for its mate, and everything and place about
him reminded him of something in connection with her, which caused his
tears to flow afresh, and gave a gloom and melancholy, not to say disgust,
to "Home and all its pleasures." The offer of a new situation at that critical
juncture, would probably appear to him to-be a providential opening, for
him to escape from a considerable part of his affliction. By one mighty
struggle, by one vigourous effort, tearing himself away from all his old
associations, and being completely surrounded by strangers, and strange
places, and the hurry of business, he probably expected, would free him
from some, at least, of that sorrow which he felt for the loss of his
After all, it must be admitted, that there was something in the affair
which appeared like precipitation, and had the distance been less, that he
could have consulted some other of his friends, before he had finally engaged
the farm, perhaps he would have met with some, who would have advised a
contrary line of conduct. Whether, however, he acted wisely or foolishly in
taking the farm, it is a fact that cannot be denied, that in the sequel, it
proved a very unfortunate affair. Several things contributed to this, the
principal of which were, the peculiar and unprecedented depression in the
price of agricultural produce. From the spring in which Father entered on the
farm, to the time of his quitting it, was little less than one continued
retrograde movement, and having the whole of his stock, with the exception of
two or three horses to purchase, he felt the depreciation in value most
severely.. As an instance of this, soon after he went he purchased from 150 to
200 hogs, or one year old sheep. These he kept during the summer, and turniped
them most of the next winter, and had at last to take about twenty shillings
per head for them, less than they cost him, exclusive of their keep during all
that time, From such circumstances as this, it is very easy to guess, that
when he was winding up his affairs for leaving, he would find that
Page 128 this article, which cost so much, now sells for only so much, leaving in the final
balance sheet a most appaling Dr. to cash. Another unpropitious event was, that
the two summers which he occupied it were both draughty ones. and though not
near so much so as some we have had since, het as he was, sandy, dry, thin,
land, having been long plowed and little tillage put in it, the dry weather was
peculiarly unfavourable to it, and he felt the heat very severely, in the small
quantity of produce on his land,
A third unfavourable circumstance arose out of the great distance from his
former home. He had during the two years, from six to eight times to come to
Compton. This he could scarce accomplish, whether he rode on horseback or the
coach in less than a fortnight, which, what with his absence from his
business, and the expenses of traveling, were not trifling considerations.
Added to it also, the farm and concern at Compton, were not managed by his
boyish son and eldest daughter entirely to his satisfaction.
The very week after taking the farm, he had to go to take possession. With
him he took his son Richard, and Sarah, his eldest daughter. Perhaps Martha, his
second daughter would have gone instead of Sarah, but as she was at that time
engaged in a negotiation, which young folks feel some peculiar interest in, she
was spared the inconvenience of being so far removed from him that writes.
He also took a man and a maid servant with him from Compton. During the
first summer's residence, they suffered much inconvenience, by the house
being to repair, re-model, and partly to rebuild, which caused them to have
to live and cook and lodge in granaries, outhouses, and as they best could.
One source of dissatisfaction with his new home arose, from his
finding very few religious associates in the neighbourhood. There was a
small class met about a mile and a half from them, which indeed principally
consisted of the members of one family. To them he united himself in church
fellowship, but there was seldom or never any preaching nearer than
Stamford, a distance of three miles, and even there, the animated feeling,
the lively zeal, the devout amentof his Yorkshire friends were not to be
As his brother Robert did not meet with a farm to suit him, the
same spring, viz.. 1821, that he took the Wittering farm, he sold his
brother Robert his share of the farm at Gatenby, and from him drew
considerable sums, to take, to stock his new farm. How much he carried
into the south, and how much he brought back, was what he would never
say, - it was a very painful subject, and he would never talk about it.
But the family believed that in one way or another, he lost by that
unfortunate step, in the two years, about 1000 pounds.
On his return from Northamptonshire in 1823, he found difficulties
still to attend him. His son Matthew was now fully grown up to man's
estate, had for two years been accustomed to act the master, almost
without any control, and though then, as well as now, accountable to him,
yet now that he had returned, and was on the spot, the youth was made to
feel his presence as a check, and he felt a restraint on his conduct that
he was not accustomed to, and having during his liberty, formed a delicate
connection with an amiable young woman, he began to feel
desirous of some business or situation of his own, that he might be able
to take to him his loved one. Not far distant from the same time
another painful
Page 129 circumstance occurred. His landlord, George Lane Fox, Esqr., had by his
gambling got himself into such difficulties, that all his estates were
conveyed to trustees, they sent down a valuer, to revalue and rearrange the
estate. He was little better than an unprinciples mad- mad, cut many deep,
wise ditches on the estate where no water could ever come, and so spent a
deal of money, and then set to raise the rents to such a degree as no one
could live on the farms, so that for some time, he expected even to leave.
Compton. Being eagerly on the lookout for some situation for his son or
himself, he still held on as he best could at Compton, but as nothing
turned up, by continuing, they in the end obtained some relaxation, and the
rents were reduced to something like a common sense amount.
In 1826 an opening presented itself for providing a situation for his
son. It was to become one fourth partner in a colliery on a farm at
Astley, about five miles from Pontefract. It belonged to Sir John Lowther,
of Swillington Park, but had been leased to Charles Josephus Smith, who,
having got into difficulties, had assigned over his lease to Martin
Westmorland, that had been Smith's agent and he got to Benj'n. Bogget, and
informed him of the circumstance, and it was ultimately agreed to take it,
the partnership to consist of Martin Westmorland, Benjamin Bogget, Richard
Skilbeck, and Thomas Morkill. It was agreed that Martin was to manage the
colliery, and that Matthew was to be his father's representative and manage
the farm, and be the traveller for the concern. They entered to the
concern Augt. 21st, 1826, and Matthew went to act his part, but in about
three months, departed this life, so that the great object of the entering on
the concern viz., to make a settlement for Matthew and Elizabeth Boggett,
was soon frustrated.
But Father having once entered the partnership, there was no with-
drawing from it. He paid down immediately (I believe) 1500 pounds, as his
quota of the capital to begin with, but they were soon ?
(part?fact?fail????) for more money, and as none of the other partners
could or would keep advancing, they hung on him, kept getting more and
more from him, till he at length sold his patrimonial estate to Askam and
Hufforth. and they kept getting and getting from him, till they got about
five thousand pounds, being more than he really had, so that at length he
died insolvent, and we that were left executors never durst administer on
his affairs.
Continuing to maintain his position at Compton, until the spring of
1832, when his four eldest daughters being married, and his son Richard
grown up to mature age, he gave up the farm and malting business to him,
himself making a valuation of the stock, crops, implements, furniture,
&c., amounting to 1490 pounds, of which sum he gave him a 1000 pounds to
begin business with, and took a promissary note of him for 500 pounds,
with interest at four per cent, which was to be paid on demand, after
which he continued to live with his son, along with his youngest daughter,
Jane, as inmates for about a year and a half.
When he was about forty years of age, he was thrown by a wicked
house, which also kicked him in his fall. He was much hurt, towards the
lower part of his back, and on his right hip. I this hip and thigh he
very frequently after suffered much pain. When he got a little cold, or
on a change of weather, he often felt it very acutely. But about the
time he gave up his farm, his lame-
Page 130 ness became much worse, and his pains much more constand and acute, and
during the summer of 1832 he went to try the waters of Barton, in
Derbyshire, but he did not derive any sensible benefit from them.
For some years it had been a subject of conversation among some of
the partners in the colliery, and they had urged him to reside there, and
occupy a part of the house intended at first for his son Matthew. Mr,
Morkill, another partner, occupying the other part. To this plan he had
sometime ago agreed, but the house was in a dilapidated state, and some
other reasons combined to prevent him complying with their wishes, until
July 9th, 1833, when he removed to that place, taking with him his
youngest daughter, Jane, and a part of the furniture from Compton, left
out the valuation for that purpose. When he got there, however, he was so
much afflicted with his rheumatic lameness, that he could seldom walk up
to the pits, and to his lameness was added a general loss of appetite and
corresponding feebleness and weakness of the whole frame. There was.
however, nothing very alarming in these symptoms until Monday 19th August,
when having much fatigued himself with riding, he became alarmingly ill.
The principal seat of his disease seemed to be his right leg, which
swelled much, was very much discoloured and inflamed, and he was obliged
to take to his bed, where he continued to get worse and worse, until the
latter end of the week, when his state became quite alarming. On the
Friday evening it was determined to inform all his children of his
situation, and this was effected on the Saturday, and on the Sunday most
of them arrived. Owing, however. to the ambiguous terms in which the note
to us was couched, we did not intend going until the Monday, not
apprehending him to be so dangerous as we afterwards found him to be.
For on Sunday evening, such was the alarm, that brother Richard came
over to hasten our attendance. Martha immediately set off with him, and
met me on the road near Sicklinghall returning from my distant
appointments as a local preacher. Our horse was put into our market cart,
and we journeyed towards Artby, where we arrived about midnight. Father,
however, was a little better, and from that time rallied considerably. On
the Monday morning Augst. 26th, 1833 he gave me instructions, and furnished
me with some documents to assist me in drawing up his last will. This was
accomplished and the document executed during the day. and in the evening
we returned home. On Wednesday 28th I again went to Artby, and found
Father amazingly better. At his request, I again read to him his will,
which meeting his entire approbation, after some conversation on several
things connected with it, was committed to my care,
During this affliction, Father has been in a peculiarly happy state
of mind, expressing his confidence in God, declaring that he possessed
a good hope through Grace, and often exulting in prospect of a better
country, and giving praise to God.
During the continuance of the following nearly nine years, that he
had his residence at Artby, he had very frequently to drink of the cup
of sorrow, During most of that time the colliery was in difficulties,
and they kept draining his purse, until they had got all h had, or could
raise, and when they had done that, would scarce advance him anything in
interest, on the money he had let them have, above his fourth share. So
that it was with the utmost difficulty that he could get anything to
keep house with, though he lived in the most careful
'regal manner, and many _d scarce a shilling his pockets.
During that time, too,
Send mail to Michael Chance & Andy Stables at with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2004 Andy Stables
Last modified: December 12, 2006