The Definitive History of the Surname STABLES in Yorkshire

Site Search by PicoSearch. Help

Home > Family History > Leeds Area > Harewood > The Notices > Pages 81 to 90

"The Notices of the Stables Family"
by William Stables (1794-1862)

Page 81  She was the daughter of Pettinger and Elisabeth,
his wife, of Belton, about a mile from Epworth, in Lincolnshire. Her father
died when she was a child. But some of the Pettingers still remain at the
village, for I find in the general report of the Wesleyan Missionary Society for
1832-3 among the subscribers is found Mr. Pettinger of Belton, Epworth,
1/6/Z, circuit. After a while his
widow married again to Bowen, and be not living long, she was
led afterwards a third time to the altar by. Barnett, or as
in some writings it is spelled Barnard, but we were always accustomed to call
her Barnett, which, if not the correct pronunciation, she would have
By her first husband, I believe she had one only child, my grand-mother.
After her marriage to my grandfather, Mrs. Barnett gave them the property
left her by her first husband, I believe 200 pounds, on condition that
grandfather would pay her an annuity of 3 pounds or 3/3 during her life,
being what she considered she had a right to, as her third out of the
property. And this annuity he continued to pay as long as she lived.
To her second husband, , _Bowen, she had one son, and one or
more daughters. Thomas Bowen, her son, was by trade a wheelwright. He
was a poor drunken man, and lived in poverty and degradation. He paid no
attention to his mother in her old age, but after my mother wrote to him to
inform him of her decease, he very soon wrote back to say, that he should
come soon to take possession of what property she had left behind. But my
mother pretty smartly informed him that she had left no property but a few
shillings in her purse, and her wearing apparel, which, if he intended to
come to claim, he must come prepared also to answer a pretty large demand
for board for several years, and all her funeral expenses. Here, however, he
thought good to drop the business, and nothing more was heard from him.
The only daughter of which I have any information, besides my
grandmother, was married to Corkin, of Waddington. near Kirton,
Lincolnshire. With her my mother used sometimes to correspond, though I
think not much after Mrs. Barnett's death. I have seen an original letter
written by my grandmother . to her half sister, Miss Bowen. Unfortuneately,
however, like some other ancient documents. it is entirely without date. It
is directed. Miss Bowen, Mifson, and is as follows:
"Dear Sister:- You cannot imagine, now words cannot express, the joy it
gave me to hear that God has of his wonderful goodness, given you a desire
and resolution to seek God for yourself. The only true and steadfast
happiness that is to be had on this side the grave. 0 my dear, don't slack your
hand: seek and you shall find; God will bless you if you call upon him. Pray
that he may keep you. Tau have set your hand to the Gospel plow, never look
back to the place you have left behind your back. Only to bless God for his
goodness in saving you out of it, Now I hope to have some comfort of my
sister's company, when we can speak of the way -to Heaven, one to another,
and I hope we shall meet there at last. I think of coming at Bawtry Fair if I
can, "Till the, farewell. From your ever loving sister, Ann Pettinger.
Page 82  To her last husband, Barnett, I believe she had no child.
Mr. B,, however, had a son by a previous marriage. To him he bequeathed
some property after the decease of his widow. For his convenience she gave
up the property to him (most probably for sale) some ten or twelve years
previous to her death, as an equivalent for which accomodation, he gave her a
bond, to secure to her an annuity of 8 pounds for her life, This bond I have
lately seen. It is indorsed on the outside. "Bond. Peter Barnard to Mrs.
Elizabeth Barnard, for 8 pounds per annum, June 21st 1792." This Peter
Barnett, I believe, came to Linnington to visit his step mother, a year or two
before her death. He was a man of respectable appearance, though, if I am
not much mistaken. I have heard that her annuity was not very regularly
After my mother's marriage, she several times came to visit her. and
some of them were prolonged to some considerable extent; and on one of her
visits she took my sister Elizabeth home with her, where she remained a
considerable time, and several years after, when Mrs. B. came finally to
reside with my father's Elizabeth having been called after her, was
always her bed-fellow, and peculiarly her girl.
About the year 1795 or 6, Mrs. B. gave up house-keeping and came to make
her home at my father's house. This was very agreeable to my mother, who
found her a valuable assistant amongst her small family, and was
accomplished with the entire approbation of my father. And many years after
the decease of my great grandmother Mrs. B., I have heard my mother relate,
with tears in her eyes, how much she was pleased with my father's behaviour to
her grandmother, - he always treated her with such kindness and respect.
In 1798 or 9 my father entered on the occupancy of the farm at
Linnington, and Mrs. B. went there to manage the household affairs, taking
one or two of the eldest children with her, and continued Mrs. *here,
until April 1802, when my mother removed to the same place, with the
remainder of the family, and resumed her proper position as the head of
the household. It was not very long after my mother rejoined her at
Linnington that her grandmother was called to her final account. It would
be in 1802 or 3.
On a Sunday morning, about nine o'clock, in the commencement of
winter, she having got breakfast, and my father being gone off to his
appointments as local preacher, she was about to go into the garden, she
got to the front door and took hold of the handle, and was there seized
by death, in the form of a fit of apoplexy. She was conveyed to bed, but
I think never afterwards took any notice of the things of earth, and the
next night resigned her breath, being about 79 years of age. Her remains
were interred in the church yard at Linnington, not far from the
southeast corner of the church, but no stone marks the place, and I
believe no one now knows the exact place, but it was about where her
descendants were in after years placed, as they respectively followed her
to their final account. (Died Octr. 4th, 1802, Elizabeth Barnett.
Interred Octr. 6th, aged 79 years. - Linnington Parish Register.)
When she was a young woman, the Methodists in Lincolnshire were
called Cannanites, and the most strange stories were circulated about
them. There lived at the same place a gentleman who was in
Page 83 the Commission of the peace, and on one occasion the village was set in
an uproar by there being a wagon load of these Canamites brought before his
worship. Like others, her curiosity was excited, and she went to have a look
at these strange monsters, and was quite surprised to find that they were
men and women, much like other folks (related by Mrs. Barnett to James
Craven, then a servant with my father, after-wards of Beckwith-Shaw).
Whether she was ever a member of the Methodist Society, I cannot
determine, but she was not after she came to my Father's, that I know of.
The idea that I have of her is, that she was a quiet, good, kind of woman,
and Methodistically inclined. This idea is confirmed by the circumstance of
both her daughters being in early life, quite decided Methodists.
To return to the notices of my grandfather.-- After his marriage he
brought his wife to his home at Swinefleet. But her mother Mrs. Barnett ever
thought it an unfortunate circumstance, that he was surrounded by so many
relations, who have been said not to have treated her very kindly. Of
course, everyone had to form his own opinion of the young wife, and they
were not very sparing in their remarks on, and censures of, her, and it is
said that these deeply wounded her spirit, and many years after, when my
grandfather brought his second wife to visit my parents at Sandygate, and
Mrs. Barnett being there, she thus addressed my grandmother, "Mrs. Dunn, I
hear you are about to remove to Swinefleet. I advise you not to go. When a
strange dog goes into a village, every cur will have a bite at it. If my daughter
had not gone there, into the midst of her husband's relations, she might
have been alive yet. (related to me by my grandmother Dunn, 1828)
On the 2nd of November, 1766, his wife brought him a daughter, which
was christened Ann, after her mother, but the mother seems never to have
recovered from the confinement and departed this life Jany. 29th, 1767.
I have always understood that she was a person of very decided piety,
and quite a conspicuous Methodist. About the time that Grand-father was
paying attention to her, she received a poetical effusion, by post, a kind of
Valentine. The original I have seen, and copy from, but it is without date, and
one corner is torn off, probably where the signature was affixed. Whether it
was from Grandfather or not, I cannot say, but it is not unlike his hand.
Thinking it a curious document, I copy it. It is addressed,
"Miss Ann Pettinger, Methodist girl, Belton, near Epworth.
"Almighty God of Love and Truth
Of Thee we're mindful in the bloom of youth,
What made us so? 'Twas thy free sovereign Grace,
This brought us both into the path of peace,
That we on earth as burning lights may shine.
O let our hearts be filled with love Divine'
Still may our faith increase, with power to pray, And
guide us sweetly in the narrow way,
To do thy blind will, may we delight.
And in thy service put forth all our might.
While free from low desire, and sinful love
We still aspire to lasting joys above.
Page 84 Like saints of old, by God himself approved,
Our Maker loving, and by him beloved;
As the first happy pair in Eden joined
Let us be faithful, pitiful, and kind,
And in each heart let that true love aboutd,
Which Jacob to his dearest Rachel found;
The love that caused him patiently to stay,
Made light his servitude, through the delay,
and seven long years t'appear but as one day.
Thus blessed with natural love, and Heavenly Grace,
May we be found in God's appointed ways,
Like those recorded in the sacred word
Who bore the great forerunner of our Lord.
Who, then, can think that God will not provide
For such as love Him and in Him confide?
When they collect the instances of old.
Which stand within the Hook of Life enroll'd,
How for his own Jehovah did provide.
How all their wants his lib'ral hand supplied.
0 Thou who didst unite our souls in love
Help us to do thy will like those above.
That having lied on earth to God alone,
We both may hear the welcome word, "Well done."
Then entering into everlasting rest
Our happy spirits mingling with the blest
And find't forever in our Master joy,
A whole Eternity we shall employ.
So prays yours, through the nearest ties of love and affection"
Previous to his marriage he had taken a farm at Swinefleet, and a
new house was built for him, but he held it only two or three years, and
was turned off soon after the decease of his wife, because he was a
With his infant daughter he then returned to his father. With him he
continued to reside for about six years. During this period he was
constantly on the lookout for some situation. While so circumstanced Revd.
John Wesley visited Swinefleet and was very much pleased with grandfather,
and seeing, too, that he lost his farm for being a Methodist, Mr. Wesley
resolved to try to find a berth for him. He enquired what he would like to
be and do. Grandfather said he should like best to go into commercial life,
as a partnership in some large town. Mr. Wesley took much pains, exerted
himself a great deal, and at length met a jeweler, a Methodist, in London,
who wanted a partner. He thought the situation would suit grandfather, and
he wrote to him on the subject. Grandfather immediate went up to London. The
offer seemed likely, the terms were agreed upon, and he was to be admitted
partner on the payment of a stipulated sum into the concern. Accordingly, he
wrote to his father for eight hundred pounds. His father said, "It is rather a
large order." He found it inconvenient to raise so large a sum immediately,
but by and by he would send him half the amount. While grandfather,
however, was waiting in London for the remittance, his intended partner
became a bankrupt, and thus by the Providence of God, my Grandfather saved
his money, and was again thrown out of a situation.
Page 85  While a widower at home with his father, between them they took the
Barlby Hall Farm, on a lease of twenty one years. But his brother Jonathan
being the elder. and married, he persuaded his father to let him have the
farm. But it was not long after his return from London that his brother
Jonathan died on the road (see the account of him on page 79), He then
entered on the Barlby Hall Farm, and remained on it, I believe, until the
expiration of the lease. It was about 1773 that he went to reside at
Barlby Hall, and soon after he was appointed class leader at Selby,
being, it is said, the first class leader there. There they used to go to
attend the meetings. though they were more than a mile distant and had to
cross the river in the ferry boat.
After the death of his wife he had made arrangements with her mother, Mrs.
Bowen, or Barnett, for her to take the charge of his infant daughter..
Accordingly, she went to her to Belton, and continued to reside with her
until she was some 12 or 13 years of age. There she obtained the first
rudiments of her education, and continued to attend school there until my
grandfather considered that she ought to have some instruction superior to any
that that neighbourhood afforded. He accordingly brought her home, and about
1779 went with his daughter to York, wishing to get her to some good school
there to finish her education. He had some weighty objections to placing her
at an ordinary boarding school,-not, indeed, on account of the expense, but
because of their learning the vain notions, and foolish customs of the world,
and the pride with which they are generally filled at those places. His
intention was to board her with a respectable Methodist family, of the name
Simpson, so that she might attend some superior school as a day scholar.
When, however, he went with his daughter, they found that Mrs. Simpson had
departed this life, and then was a corpse in the house. Finding the house
thus in confusion, and seeing that the Mrs. was dead, he at once saw that it
was no longer a suitable place for his daughter.
Meeting with Tommy Pears, a York Methodist, he told him the dilemma
in which he was placed. Mr. Pears, however, encouraged him to hope that some
suitable place could be found for her, and on some account or other, Miss
Ann Cordukes being at the house where they were, it struck Mr. Pears that
she would be a suitable person to take charge of his daughter. Miss
Cordukes was then a zealous Methodist. had been savingly converted when
she was about 16i years of age, and for some years had been a consistent
Christian and an active Methodist. She was of an open, affable, cheerful
disposition, and altogether of a very prepossessing appearance. She then
resided with her brother, Mr. Thomas Cordukes, a linen and woolen draper,
in Petergate, and he also was a Methodist. Mr. Pears warmly recommending her,
he resolved to ask her if she would take charge of his daughter while she resided
in York, in order to attend some day school. To his proposal she agreed, provided
her brother was agreeable. In order to bring the business to some tangible issue,
he resolved to accompany her home. He walked along with her, but she shamed
very much with him, he was so countrified in his dress, crossed the street in order
to leave him, but he was after her very sharply. Mr. Cordukes agreed to his
Page 86 and Miss Dunn was left at York, where she remained and attended school for
12 to 20 months. Up to the time of his second marriage, Grand-father
frequently went to York to visit his daughter. However, it soon came to pass
that he had another object in view, for it was not long before he began to
form an opinion that Miss Cordukes was not only a suitable person to train
up his daughter, but also to make him a loving wife. With this idea in his
head he went to visit his daughter two or three times, and informed her of
his intentions, but could never muster sufficient courage to break it off to
Miss Cordukes. At length he resolved to do it by letter, and accordingly
wrote a very long one, which he committed to the post. When it arrived it
fell into his daughter's hands, who immediately knew the handwriting, and
guessing at its contents, she ran upstairs with it to Miss Cordukes,
laughing most heartily. Miss Cordukes, however, was very differently
affected, trembling and agitated, she read its contents, finding herself in
a serious dilemma. She, however, very prudently consulted with her brother,
who took a very lively interest in her welfare, and even went to see what
kind of a home Grandfather had to take his sister to. Grandfather, however,
persevered, and with Miss Cordukes, "goodness being of more valor than
beauty, she consented to be Dunn", and on Novr. 15th, 1780 they were united
in holy matrimony, he being about 41 and she 23 years of age.

By this second marriage Grandfather had issues
FIRST. HANNAH CORDUKES DUNN, born Septr 7th, 1781. She was a steady, pious
Methodist from early life, of a very retired, sedate, and thoughtful
disposition. When a young woman, she learned dressmaking, but never did
much at it except for her relatives. When she was about 22, Grand father
built two respectable kind of cottages, by the river side, about the middle
of the village. In one of these she opened a grocer's shop, but I do not
think it answered very well. She was in it when I was a schoolboy at
Swinefleet, and I once went with her on a packet to Hull on one of her
trips to procure goods for her shop. When Grandfather bought the Kelfield
Lodge farm, he sold off his property at Swinefleet, and his daughter Hannah
removed with her family to that place. When she was about 27 or 28 years of
age, she was married to
Spence of Stillingfleet. To him she bore three children, who I believe all died in
their infancy, and were followed by their mother about twenty weeks after her
last confinement in 1817 or 18, being then about 36 years of age.

SECOND. JOHN, born June 8th, 1784. When he was about 22 years of age, he
took a considerable farm at Kelfield, which is now occupied by
Mr. Bell (1855). On this he resided about ten years, but produce getting very
low, and having a great loss by a person failing, he being always disposed to
look a little too high for his circumstances, he became involved, and gave up his
farm. He being left his father's executor, too, had to sell his father's farm,
which he did to Preston, of
Moreby, in order to pay his brothers and sisters their portions, but I have
always understood that some of his sisters lost part of their portions by
him. In the spring of
Page 87 1817 he went to the United States of America. There he remained about eight
years, with the exception of about three months, which was spent in England on
business. The largest and latest portion of this period he resided at New
Orleans, in the published directory of which his name appeared as a store-
keeper. At length, however, he had the misfortune to have his premises and
goods consumed by fire, by which he lost most of the property which he had
thus, for eight years, been endeavouring to scrape together. Soon after
this, he returned to his friends in England, and generally resided with his
brother Jonathan at Kelfield Lodge, occasionally going down to Swinefleet,
where he had some little property bequeathed to him by his father, also
about 100 acres of moor land, Forty acres of this has lately been covered
with warp (1828) under an act of Parliament, obtained by a neighbouring
gentleman, which makes it very valuable land. It cost, however, 21 pounds
per acre warping. Out of this property he has to pay an annuity of forty
five pounds to his mother, and he first mortgaged it, and then sold it
absolutely, to his cousin, Jonathan the son of WilliAm Cordukes of North Ingo,
Sheriff-Hutton, to whom it now belongs, but is occupied by George Dunn, John's
younger brother. After he had been about two years hanging about, and
principally living on his friends, for he was never a man to work much with his
own hands, he married about Martimas 1827, Mary Cawood, of Croke, near
Easingwold. She had lived with his brother Jonathan a year or two before, as a
servant, by which he became acquainted with her, on account of which they
parted with her, though she was serving her second year with them. He was
about 43 and she 28 or 29 years of age at the time of their marriage. He then
took a house at Swinefleet in order that he might occupy his own property
there, but it did not last long, as the mortgagor could not obtain his interest
and was obliged to sieze the land, which was then let to his brother George, and
by him occupied ever since. About the year 1811 or 12 there was an
extraordinary revival of religion in the Selby Circuit, and John became a
hearty Methodist. This was when he was a farmer there, but he did not
continue above three or four years, before he again became entangled in the
things of this world, so much so, as to give up his profession. After losing the
Swinefleet land, he went with his family to reds, where he opened a green
grocer's shop, and has more than once been helped by his friends, to open a
potato warehouse, but
it never lasted long. He appears to lack energy, industry, perseverance, to make
him more successful in this world. I have heard that they had four or five
children, and I believe he is yet living at Leeds, in some low way, Naturally he
was an open, affable, social disposition, and when I was there he was my
favourite uncle.

THIRD. JONATHAN, born Septr. 3rd, 1786. He is a remarkably tall, and when a
young man slender, man, but as he became aged, he got more stout, and for
several years before his death, he was a very large heavy man. When he was 34
or 5 years of age he was savingly converted, and has ever since (1828) been a
very steady professor. It was not long after his conversion, that he was
appointed class leader at Riccall, a village not very far from Kelfield-Lodge.
This affair, I believe, he held there for several years. He resided with his father
until his decease. where he was the principal practical farmer. When his
brother John sold the farm to
Page 88  Preston, Esqr., of Moreby, Jonathan became the tenant, and has
been a very successful farmer (1856). There he has resided ever since, and has
been the principal stay of the family. His mother remained with him during
her widowhood, and with him finished her course after a lingering illness of
ten weeks, March 30th, 1828 (See letter from Jonathan of that date, and also
Septr. 7th, 1827).
Sometime after his mother's death, he being considerably more than
forty years of age he married Hannah Cook.
(Note inserted in the text by the copyist, T. B. Dunn, of Halifax,
Virginia, U.S.A., their great-grandson.---Hannah Cook, of Lilling, near
Sheriff-Hutton was married in Sheriff-Hutton Church by Rev. Mr. Lumbley,
Novr. 30, 1832. Later in this copy I plan to give an account of her ancestry.)
By her he had four children, Jonathan, Elizabeth, George and Rebekah.
After being long troubled with a disease of the heart, - he had some
considerable last affliction - he departed this life March 23, 1854, aged 67,
our son Matthew being left one of the trustees of the family. I have in the course
of between thirty and forty years visited him or them, I believe, five times, but he
never came so far as us.
FOURTH, MARY, born Septr, 4th, 1788. When she was grown up to woman's
estate she became a member of the Methodist Society. When her brother John
went to the farm, I believe she went with him as house-keeper, and I believe
remained with him the whole time he was a farmer, and now I think has acted
for five or six years as housekeeper for her brother George at Kelfield (1828). After
George's removal, and her mother's death, I believe she was housekeeper to her
Brother Jonathan until his marriage. After some time she obtained a situation as
matron at a large public school at York, and I believe she held the situation until
she was overtaken by affliction, and retired to her brother Jonathan's to die,
which took place Feby. 27th, 1846, aged 57. I saw her a short time before her
decease, and found her in a very comfortable state of mind. She was a woman
much above the usual size, and stout built and well proportioned, so that if in the
order of Providence she had been married, and had a family, she was very likely
to have been a person of very unusual size and weight. But as if all men thought
that beauty and loveliness were always small, so I never heard that she had any
offers of marriage (1856).
FIFTH. ANN ELIZABETH, born Novr. 6th, 1790. Sometime when she was
about twenty years of age, she became a member of the Methodist Society, and
continued in the same religious community to the end of her days. When she was
twenty two or three years of age, she was married to her cousin Jonathan
Cordukes, the son of Richard Cordukes. He resided on a farm that had formerly
been occupied by their uncle Jonathan Cordukes. who died a batchelor, at North
Ings, more than a mile from Sheriff-Hutton. With him she lived four or five
years, in great domestic comfort, when he was torn from her by the unrelenting
hand of death. I think she bore him three children, two of which died in their
infancy, and one is settled at Kelfield, near his Uncle Jonathan Dunn's family,
for with him (after her second marriage) he was brought up, he being sole trustee
and guardian. After remaining at the farm at North Ings, in a state of widowhood
for five or six years, she again married her own cousin, Jonathan Cordukes, the
only son of Wm. His farm lay near, if it did not adjoin on hers, so that after
seeing much of one another for a length of time, they in the end agreed to be
man and wife, With him she lived for five
Page 89 or six years, and bore him three children, but died in childbirth. (Copy
inscription on a head stone in Sheriff-Hutton churchyard - "Sacred to the
memory of Ann Elizabeth, the wife of Jonathan Cordukes, who departed this
life Septr. 28th, 1826, aged 35 years, in sure and certain hope of her part in
the first resurrection: also Ann Elizabeth, daughter of the above, who died in
her infancy." --Copied June 20th, 1860, by William Stables.), but the infant
soon followed its mother to the grave. Two sons remain, Samuel, who after
occupying farms, first at Linnington Hall, and then the old family residence at
North Ings, eventually emigrated to South Africa, Port Natal. Joseph, the
younger, occupies the old family residence at North Ings, has married our
daughter Ann.
She was of a very cheerful and affable disposition, fond of reading, and
was very well informed on many subjects. She was a thoroughly sensible
woman, and deeply experienced in the things of God. She was amiable in every
relation of life, and quite the pride of her family. Perhaps her greatest
infirmity was a wish to appear in the world in a style and fashion that her
circumstances did not warrant. She was some-thing above the middle size,
rather tall, but not very stout boned, and had one of those open, benevolent
countenances that recommends itself to everyone that beholds it.
SIXTH. GEORGE, born Jany. 18th, 1794. When 24 or 5 years of age he
became a member of the Methodist Society, and I believe continues so to
the present time (1828). Four or five years he resided with his sister, Ann
Elizabeth, during her state of widowhood. The last five or six years he has
occupied a small farm at Kelfield (1828). About
the time the above was written, he removed to near Swinefleet, to occupy the
land once belonging to his brother John, but now belonging to his cousin
Jonathan Cordukes. There he got married, and has some daughters, and there
he still lives. (1856).
SEVENTH CATHARINE, born Aug. 30th, 1799. died Feby. 16th, 1800.
EIGHTH SAMUEL, born Deer. 22nd, 1803, died March 11th, 1804.
After my Grandfather's second marriage, he continued to reside at
Barlby Hall for about twelve years, during which time he was several times
honoured with the visits of Revd. John Wesley, - indeed, as often as he came
to Selby. About 1792, probably at the expiration of his lease, he left Barlby
Hall, and went to reside on his own property at Swinefleet. This was but
small, and when his own sons came to approach to manhood, he began to feel
the want of some larger concern, in order to bring and employ them fore
fully in active life. He, accordingly, about 1807, sold part of his property
at Swinefleet, his nephew Samual laverack purchasing the homestead and a few
acres of land adjoining it, the place where my grandfather resided. About
the same time, or probably before it, he purchased a farm near Kelfield,
which is now denominated Kelfield Lodge, a memorandum of which agreement in his
own handwriting, I have seen, and copied as a curiosity. (1828) "Particulars of an
agreement between Mr. B. Clarkson and John Dunn this 16th day of Jany, 1808.
The said John Dunn has bought of the said Mr. Clarkson a farm called Bentley
Farm, consisting of about 72 acres of high land at fifty pounds per acre -
3600 pounds, and 108 acres of moor land at thirty pounds per acre - 3240
pounds (Land to be measured). The buildings, crop of wheat on fallow, and
the after crop on turnip land to be given in, also 500 yards of double ports
and rails, also 20 pounds to be given towards the value of the wood, the
said John Dunn to have which wood he chases, at a fair valuation, also a
piece of oak for a roller. The said John Dunn to enter to the high land at
Candlemas next, and the moor land at Lady Day next. The last year sown seeds
on the moors. to be eaten no
Page 90  It was not long, however, that he was permitted to possess this estate.
In the latter end of July or beginning of Augt. 1811 he was in
a very poor state of health. As he could be very welcome at his brother-in-law's,
Mr. Thomas Cordukes' at York, his medical attendant advised his removal to
that place, for if there he could more frequently see him and if needful could
get further advice. In carrying out this plan a gig was procured, in which
he was taken on Friday. Angst, 16th, at a very moderate speed to York. He,
however, complained of being much fatigued, and on their arrival at Mr.
Cordukes', he accosted him by saying, "Brother, I am come to lay down my
weary tones with you." On the evening of the same day, grandmother having
got him into bed, and undressing herself to follow him, he suddenly cried
out, "What is this?" For just at that time he was seized with some twisting
in his bowels, which caused such acute pain, that he cried out for a short
time. But raising up his mind to God, he meekly said, "Thy will be done,"
and though he afterwards was often in an agony of pain, he never cried out,
any more. During the night he was afflicted with the most acute suffering.
His complaint became inflammation of the bowels. A physician was called in,
but there seemed little from the first seizure, and on the Saturday, the
little hope there was vanished away. On the Sunday his family were sent for,
once more to behold their dying parent in the land of the living, and on Monday
evening, Augst 19th, 1811, he quietly resigned his spirit into the hands of his
Maker. His remains were taken for interment to the parish church at
Stillingfleet, Kelfield being in that parish. On visiting the churchyard in
Feby, 1828, I found a plain altar tombstone, supported on brick walls, near
the southeast corner of the church, bearing the following inscription"
"In memory of John Dunn, late of Kelfield Lodge. He died
Augst 19th, 1811, in the 72nd year of his age.
The Chamber where the good man meets his fate
Was privileged, beyond the common walk of virtuous life.
Quite in the breeze of heaven;
Sweet peace, and Heavenly Hope, and humble joy
Divinely beamed on his exalted soul."
My grandfather was for upwards of fifty years a member of the
Methodist society, in connection with which denomination he rendered up his
breath, and for a very great portion of these years he was a class leader,
in which office I understood he was greatly respected. For in his
religious career he was remarkably steady and persevering. He was naturally
of a retired and contemplative turn of mind. He was well read, and being
remarkable for the evenness and placidity of his temper. He was a very
intelligent associate to those who were favoured with his company. In his
person he was about the middle size, was very straight, and at 70 walked
quite erect. As he got aged he became rather a stout, broad-set man, but had
never the appearance of being either fat or lumberly.
My grandmother was a person rather unusually tall, and was well
proportioned, and walked remarkably straight. She had a quick sharp eye, an
open and benevolent countenance, so that to old age, she was a noble
example of her sex. Her understanding was bright and quick, and her spirit
rather unusually light and cheerful, so that she was usually pretty quick
in her decisions, and could generally give an answer at once. So it is not
to be wondered at that she was often taken to be the leading spirit. But
questions that involved doubt, and the balancing of reasons, generally came
to Grandfather, and his decisions always carried some weight with
Send mail to Michael Chance & Andy Stables at with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2004 Andy Stables
Last modified: December 12, 2006