The Definitive History of the Surname STABLES in Yorkshire

Site Search by PicoSearch. Help

Home > Family History > Leeds Area > Harewood > The Notices > Pages 101 to 110

"The Notices of the Stables Family"
by William Stables (1794-1862)

Page 101 Farewell, beloved friend, farewell I
hasten quick with you to dwell,
In yonder blessed scenes. By
faith I now behold them near, And
while I listen seem to hear,
The new triumphal hymns.

No more I mourn your house forsook,
But to the House Eternal look,
Where prayer is turned to praise; Are
lost in one successive light, In one
refulgent day.

The breath of sorrow then unknown,
Calls forth no sympathy to own,
The widow's heartdrawn tear' Lave
there doth every sorrow share, And
glory beams in every face,
For God is present there.
Page 102 NOTICES OF THE ANCESTORS OF MARTHA, my beloved wife.

+++++Matthew Skilbeck was born at Arkham Bryan, or Great Arkham, near York,
Deer, 22nd, 1704. At his native village he served a regular apprenticeship
to a carpenter; at which trade he laboured until he was about thirty years
of age. About that period he married Abbay,
who was somewhere about the same age. She was a widow, and had three
children. (One of them named Margaret was married to a farmer of the name
of Acomb. They lived at Kelfield, and she died July 1816, aged
83 years. Her son, Richard Abbey was a farmer and lived at Wheldrake,
near York. He failed in business, and was in great poveryt, being partly
supported in the later part of life by his half brother, Matthias
Skilbeck. Her daughter Mary was married to Robinson, who re-sided
at Healaugh, being left a widow, she was afterwards married to John Bell,
and to him she bore a son and a daughter. (vide late Matthias Skolbeck).
Mrs. Abbey resided at Tockwith, on a small estate of her own, worth
about twenty pounds per annum. At her decease she bequeathed it to her
husband, subject to legacies to her children. At his death he left it
to Matthias, his only son, who sold it about the year 1782, Sometime
before then it let for about 30 pounds per annum, and was sold for
about 1000 pounds, being considered by many very cheap. (Father
She was a tidy, neat person, a clever housewife, and altogether
an amiable woman. On Jany. 25th, 1735 she was brought to bed, and safely
delivered of twins, a boy called Matthias and a girl called Elizabeth.
After Elizabeth was grown up to woman's estate, she was married to Joseph
Saver, of Dun-Keswick, tanner. By him she left a son or two, the
descendants of whom still live in the neighbourhood. She, however, lost her
husband, while she was comparitively but a young woman. She was married
again to a second husband, and had again to follow her husband to the
grave. She was afterwards married to William Kirby, as her third husband.
He was a corn dealer in a small way, and resided at Harewood. With him,
however, she lived very comfortably, She died Novr, 12th, 1811, aged 76
years. (Father Skilbeck).
On his marriage, Matthew Skilbeck removed to Tockwith, and commenced
farmer on his own account, on his wife's estate, but soon found that so
small a concern would afford but a very scanty subsistence for a family,
and as he had the prospect of a rapidly increasing number of dependents,
he determined on some further exertions to make provision for them. His
capital indeed was but small; but meeting, as he thought, with a promising
situation, he boldly ventured on a comparitively large farm. It belonged
to Stamp Brooksbank, Esqr., and was situate at Healaugh. On this, in a
still more enlarged state, his descendants continued to reside, until May
1822, when his grandson Robert Skilbeck, having discharged himself, left
it, after being occupied by him and his father and grandfather 87 years.
He being no longer willing to endure the tyranny of his landlord, or to pay
a rent which in the then depressed state of agriculture, was so far above
its worth.

++++His mother buried at Healaugh. See note B, page 106
Page 103  He removed with his family to the farm at Healaugh in the spring of
1735, He had scarcely got into the occupation and routine of farming
labour, before he was called to sustain one of the greatest afflictions
which could befal a man, situated as he was, This was nothing less than
the loss of his excellent wife by death; which took place Jany. 6th, 1736,
at the age of 33 years.
At this period of his life he was rather fond of liquor, and was
occasionally taken captive by this besetment. He was generally in the
habit of attending the weekly market at York. The Inn at which he put up was
kept by a widow, and he (among his cheerful neighbours) getting a glass
or two too much after their market business was over, was ultimately
drawn into a connection with the designing landlady, and in the end he
took her to him to wife. This, however, was an unfortunate step, for he
had only a very uncomfortable life with her. She was a rough, blustering,
uncultivated being, and to him was a woeful contrast to the wife of his
youth. With her, however, he spent the remainder of his days, but had no
children by her. She died about 1782 or 3.
About the year 1767, when he was about 62 years of age, he declined
business in favour of his son, and with his wife went to reside in part
of a house, which they took at second hand, which be-longed to one of the
Universities. The house was in Healaugh, not much more than a hundred
yards from his former farm house residence, and nearly facing the road
which comes down out of Healaugh towards his former residence, and
continuing leads to Wighill. In this house he resided with his for 9 or 10
years, when he yielded to the solicitation of his daughter Saver, who
resided at Dun Keswick, and they went to reside with them. There they
remained about two years; but not feeling themselves very comfortable,
they removed and went back to Healaugh, residing with his son until they
could meet with a suitable house. Their stay with him lasted seven or
eight months. When they took part of a house occupied by Thomas
Stephenson, where they remained until his decease, which was a period of
two or three years. After his decease, his widow went to reside at lark.
She boarded with a Mrs. Clark, in Low Ousegate, a little on the North
side of Ouse Bridge. She survived her husband four or five years.
For a few years, about and after the time he gave up his farm,
the Inghamite preachers regularly visited Healaugh. They were a modern
sect of Antinomians, which at that time, made a great noise in the West
Riding of Yorkshire. Matthew Skilbeck occasionally heard them, and so far
countenanced them, but was not much profited by their ministry. On one
occasion, Mr. Ingham himself, the founder of the sect, visited Healaugh,
and was entertained and preached at his house, though not any of his
preachers over had the same honour.
It was about 1771 or 2 that the Methodist preachers began to visit
Healaugh, and he became a hearer of the Gospel as preached by them, and not
a hearer only, but a doer of the Word, and was also blessed in his deed. By
attending to the word preached he became seriously concerned for his
salvation. He thoroughly reformed his life, and heartily repenting of his
former sins, he became a partaker of that blessed enjoyment of peace and
hope, which is promised to all true believers. He united himself to the
Methodist Society, and continued a burning and shining light, unto the
day of his death. He was a remarkable man for
Page 104 prayer, and lived so much in the Spirit of it, that frequently when
walking along the street, he was wrapped up in holy adoration, that
standing still, with uplifted hands, he would worship his Lord and God.
(vide Sam'l Hick, who was apprentice to a blacksmith at Healaugh, and
frequently saw and was astonished at his thus standing in the street) But
his prayers were not in the street only, otherwise it might reason-ably be
supposed that he did it to be seen of men. He was eminent for closet
prayer also, and his grandson Richard (my father-in-law), has told me that
he well remembers how he used to retire into his chamber, and there shut
himself up with his God, and so earnest was he and intent on his
devotions, that when a little boy, he has several times unobserved, crept
into his chamber, and while his grandfather was praying on one side, he has
been stuffing his pockets with apples on the other side of the room.
Indeed, such was the communion which he held with Heaven, that he was
on many occasions favoured with a knowledge of future events, and foretold
them with accuracy. And my father-in-law was told by a William Styan, a
pious man, that he knew of several of these predictions, and particularly
mentioned one. Most of the village were assembled, as was then the custom,
to thrash one of the farmers a field of rape. During Ithe day, while they
were yet in the midst of their work, the clouds began to gather, and there
was every appearance of immediate and heavy rain. Circumstanced as they
were, this was a very-alarming prospect. Mr. Skilbeck was observed to
retire from the bustle and hurry which was then occasioned by the
appearances. We. Styan well knew for what purpose, viz., to pray to his
god. In a short time he returned, and with the solemnity of an old prophet
assured them that there would be no rain that day, and enjoined on them to
go on with their work. And however rash a prediction was falsified by
appearances, such was the character he had obtained for holiness and
fellowship with God, that they believed him, continued their labour, and
pleasingly proved that the event justified the prediction.
In the beginning of the year 1780, while walking along the street
when there was much ice, intending to join with his brethren in the
worship of God, he had the misfortune to fall, and by it crushed his leg.
As he did not consider it of any dangerous consequences, he refused to have
any medical man called in, and himself. assisted most probably by the old
wives of the village, managed it as well as they knew how. It, however, got
to run, became a very bad leg, and in the end mortified and he died, March
31st, 1783, aged 75 years. It was believed that he was fully prepared for his
change, testifying in his latest hours that the blood of Jesus Christ his son,
cleanseth from all sin. See Note B, page 106.
Matthias. the son of Matthew Skilbeck (along with his twin sister
Elizabeth) was born at Torkwith Jany. 25th, 1735, and was removed to
Healaugh with his parents the following spring. After his school boy days
were passed, he was taken to labour in the farm, and was trained up to
manhood under the eye of his father, and being designed to succeed him,
was regularly practised in all the labours, arts, & mysteries of the farming
Page 105  On the 13th of June 1767, being turned thirty two years of age, he was
married to Jan Tomlinson, of Eas-dike, near Tadcaster, (A fine farm belonging
to the Earl of Harewood, and yet occupied by her relatives, 18%). She was
about twenty two years of age, was a modest
and unassuming girl, and made him an excellent wife; was quite remark-able for
her industry, frugality, and good housewifery. In May 1785, she met with a
very serious accident. She had been at Tadcaster market with her husband, and
spring carts and gigs being then unknown to farmers, she was mounted on a
pony, and he on a mare which had a foal on, In returning home they came at a
gate, which he opened, and she was following him through, when his mare being
out of patience, began to be very refractory, and running backwards just as Mrs.
S. was passing, the gate, ran foul an her pony, and run her rump against Mrs.
S's leg, which was over her saddle crutch, with such violence as to break both
bones just in the ankle, and bonded the broken leg quite back. She was driven
quite along the pony's back, and dropped to the ground over its tail, In doing
so she cut the knee of her whole leg most severely. Of this bruise and cut she
complained much for some time, as being more painful than the broken bones.
The confinement occasioned by this occurrence was a sufficient trial of her
patience, and her anxiety to see after the affairs of her household overcoming
her prudence, she ventured too soon to try the strength of her walking
machine, and by doing so again dislocated the bones of that part of it called
the right leg. This was a very painful circumstance, for added to the pain
of body she had to endure, she was much afraid of a severe lecture from her
husband, for her want of caution. And her frugality not liking to incur the
expense of a medical man, she resolved to keep it as secret as she could, and
accordingly set herself as well as she could. Her surgical skill, however,
does not appear to have answered very well, for her leg was ever after very
crooked, something like a person's elbow. This made it rather shorter than
the other, and caused her to limp, and frequently to use a stick to walk with
until the day of her death. *****
After living with her husband, in the enjoyment of connubial
happiness, for a little more than half a century, she was at last taken from
him in an awfully sudden manner. On the morning of June 26th, 1817, she
sat down with her husband to breakfast, in as good health as usual; and
while partaking of their food, she shrieked, and instantly expired, while
the meat was yet in her mouth. She was 72 years of age.
Added to the other excellencies of his wife, she was a fruitful vine. She
brought him seven children. She had thus full exercise for her skill and industry
in the proper care and management of her children, and the superintendence of
a larger establishment of servants, in which was included a considerable
dairy. There things combined gave oppor-
tunity for the full manifestation of all the domestic wisdom she was possessed of. And the
call was not made in vain, for she proved herself
an active, judicious clever wife. But while these encomiums are bestowen on
his partner, it would be unjust to drop the account here, or it might be
supposed that she was the active managing partner in the concern, which was
by no means the case. For Matthias Skilbeck was the very reverse of either
an ignorant or an indolent husband. His skill was equal to his undertaking.
His industry was sufficient to enable him personally to superintend his
Page 106 concerns in every department. And his perseverance was equal to the
difficulties he had to encounter. and enabled him by the blessing of
Heaven, to bring his designs generally to a successful conclusion.
After his marriage, his father gave up the farm to them. But his
attention was not solely confined to that, for during the period of his active
life, and especially towards the later end of it, he made several bargains in
landed property, in some of which he was very successful, Providence
smiling on his endeavours to provide for his family. The times in which he
lived, too, were favourable to such dealings. They were eventful times. The
peculiar circumstances of
the nation, arising from the wars in which it was engaged by the French
Revolution, caused property rapidly to advance in value.
Soon after his father's death, which took place 1780, he sold his
small patrimonial estate at Torkwith, and in 1783 he purchased a small
farm at Great Ousebarn. which cost him in purchase and repairs 1600
pounds. This he sold again in 1802, to Mr. John Abbey for 1852 pounds, 10
shillings, clearing by the bargain 1252 pounds. In the same year that he
sold this property, he purchased another farm of Mr. Russel, Attorney at
law, of York. It was part in the Township of Rufforth and part in that of
Arkam Richard. The purchase was completed and the money paid April 5th,
1803. The items are as follows: Purchase 3900 pounds, writings to Mr.
Russell 15 pounds, 6/6. Tithes of two Intacks (?) in Arkham Richard of
Wm. Jackson 54 pounds. Conveyances of ditto. 7/5/0. Expenses of building
a new stable and repairs 17/5/0. Redemption of the land tax 106/3/6. The
small tithes 8/8/0, Total 4108/8/8. At his decease in 1826 he bequeathed
this estate to my father-in-law, subject, however, to legacies payable to
his son of his son John, 40 pounds, Thos. Acomb, 10 pounds.
Besides the property which he had thus vested in this estate, he had
as his children had arrived at maturity, got married and settled, given
to each of them a suitable portion. To his sons Richard, Robert, and John
each 1000 pounds, to his daughters Mary and Jane each 500 pounds. He also
lost and paid, as bondsman on the failure of his son John 1600 pounds. so
that looking at what he had given to and lost by his children, and what he
left in his estate, he must be considered as a very successful farmer.

NOTE A. But with all her excellencies as a wife, a mother and the
mistress of the family, she appears to have been a person of very limited
knowledge, and as a consequence of very contracted mind. It would seem as
though her whole mind and soul, and energied and aim, centered and ended
in her husband and her family. She professed to be a "Church woman", but
seemed to have very little of religious desire or feeling. She had read
comparitively nothing, and in the decline of
life, if ever she took a book in hand, it was generally the "Prayer Book"

NOTE B. (See page 104) In the Healaugh churchyard is a head stone,
inscribed (Copied Aug 10, 1808), "Here lieth the body of Mary, the wife of Matt'w
Skilbeck, who died Jany 6, 1736, aged 33; also Mary, mother of Matthew Skilbeck
who died Septr. 4th, 1743; also the body of Matt'w Skilbeck, who died March
31st, 1780, aged 75".
Page 107  But how mysterious are the ways of Providence, for his three sons
that lived to mature age, brought up with the greatest habits of industry
and frugality, and all three men of clear heads and good sense, and at a
proper age so fairly and liberally started in the world, and all three well
married and at least persons of some property and for a time appearing
prosperous! yet; first, John became a bankrupt, and before his death had
nothing but his wife's property, that he could not lay hold of; second, my
father-in-law, who died insolvent; and third, Robert, who died in the Union
Poor house, and was buried by the parish.
Let it not, however, be supposed that though Matthias Skilbeck
was thus enabled to accumulate worldly things, that his whole attention was
engrossed thereby. For during a considerable period of the later part of his
life, he had learned not only to be diligent in business, but also fervent in
Spirit, serving the Lord." It does not appear that his youth was peculiarly
characterized by anything in a moral or a religious point of view. It was then
a dark age, and Spiritual enjoyment and experimental religion were little
known, and less sought after. There was, however, a sect of dissenters of an
Antinomian cast, generally termed Inghamites, from Mr. Ingham, their
founder, which for some years, between 1760 and 1770 regularly had
preaching at Healaugh.' On their ministry he frequently attended, and by the
light which he obtained through this, or some other source, he became very
uneasy and dissatisfied with himself, and his religious state, and thinking
that hearing their preachers was the cause, he came to a resolution to hear
them no more. The sect soon after fell into general decay, and the village
was deserted of their preachers.
It was in the year 1771 or 72 that the Methodist preachers first
visited Healaugh. They had for some time previous had a congregation
and society at Tadcaster, and from them, the first attack was made on the
Dominion of the Powers of Darkness at Healaugh. The preacher was
accompanied by a few of the friends from that place; and having no plan of
entertainment to which to resort, they stood together under the shade of a
large walnut tree. This, and many sycamore trees still (1827) ornament the
village green. This tree was a little above, tut nearly opposite the road that
goes out of Healaugh towards Wighill. Underneath this tree, there was a very
large stone, upon which the preacher mounted, and being surrounded by his
friends, they began to
sing a hymn. This soon attracted the attention of the villagers, and the news
ran so fast from one to another, that presently the whole village was in an
uproar. At length the intelligence reached the other extremity of the village, at
which stood the Inn or Public House. On that Sunday afternoon the principal
inhabitants were met at that place, in order to contract some persons for the
making a quantity of bricks, which was wanted for the building of a bridge or
some other public work. While they were thus profanely employed, woad was
brought that the Methodic preacher was come and was under a tree at the top
of the town. Their curiosity was immediately excited, and Matthias Skilbeck,
never having seen a Methodic preacher, they agreed to drop their brick
business, and see for themselves, what kind of beings these Methodics were.
They accordingly mixed in the stream that had already begun to flow, and
ultimately was mixed up among the promiscous crowd, that surrounded the
man of God.
Page 108  It was, however, a time to be remembered by Matthias, for under that
sermon he saw he was a lost sinner. He learned what it was that made him
feel so uneasy, and he in earnest began to seek redemption in the blood of
Jesus, the forgiveness of all his sins, and never rested until he could rejoice
in Him as his Saviour. On his conver-sion, he joined the Methodist Society,
and remained on of its stead-fast, and indeed, principal supporters, for more
than fifty years, even to the day of his death. For many years he was the class
leader of the little class in Healaugh, and when he became so old, as to
be comparitively in a state of superannuation, he had another person
associated with him in the office. I believe that he served the office of
circuit steward in the York circuit, in which Healaugh then was, and for
many years his house was the preacher's home in the village. He was a man
of much prayer. lived much in the spirit of ejaculatory prayer, and I
well remember when in his company, once or twice in his extreme old age,
how often he was breathing his desires to Heaven.
For many years towards the close of life, he suffered much from
stone and gravel. To relieve him in this, he used to take a little gin
and water, until he became accustomed to it in such a way as not to be
able to do without it, and perhaps sometimes took a little more than he
ought. This, however, he entirely discontinued, never tasting it at all
for some years before his death.
For many years, he had paid some attention to surgery. He had many
recipes, and composed and mixed up several salves. He never practised
professionally, but was of much service to the poor in the surrounding
country, and was the instrument in curing many lame knees, bad thumbs,
and swelled fingers, but never took any remuneration for his services.
He was naturally of a rather light and sociable disposition, and
was a very agreeable companion. He was, however, withal rather warm,
when he thought himself ill-used. In his person he was about the middle
size, rather below than otherwise, very straight and clean made, had a
great deal of colour in his fact, and in his old age was rather inclined to
corpulancy, though by no means lumberly, being able to walk about quits
briskly, until within two or three years of his death.
He at last died rather suddenly. He had been rather more poorly
than usual for two or three days, hit that morning felt himself quite
well, and would be dressed, in the action of which a sick fit took him,
and he died, Feby. 14th, 1826, aged 91. Near his grave a neat headstone
is erected, inscribed,
"Sacred to the memory of Jane Skilbeck, the wife of Matthias
Skilbeck, who died June 26th, 1817, aged 72; also of the aforesaid
Matthias Skilbeck, who died June 14th, 1826, aged 91.
"In age and feebleness extreme, who shall a helpless worm redeem?
Jesus, my only hope thou art, strength of my failing flesh and heart.
0 could I catch a smile from thee, and drop into eternity."
Page 109 Matthias and Jane Skilbeck had issues
FIRST. MATTHEW, born May 7th. 1768 (See Note V, page 132). When he was very
young, he went to London, and was engaged in a large concern as a junior clerk.
While in this situation, he had a great deal of walking about with letters, and on
other business, and while thus employed he had his health tolerably well. His
good conduct, however, rendering him respected, he was, at a proper
opportunity, promoted to a higher office, and became one of the superior
clerks, 'hose employ-ment was generally to sit in the office from morn to
night. By this close confinement he became very delicate and tender, and was
ultimately carried off by a galloping consumption. He breathed his last
Jany, 24th, 1790, aged 21 years. A few days previous to his dissolution his
parents received information of his dangerous situation, and his father
immediately hasted away to his assistance, and di d not leave him until he
had seen his remains deposited in the new burial ground. St. Mary-le bone,
London. A funeral sermon was preached on occasion of his death at Healaugh,
by Richard Burdsall from John 11, 25.-"I am the resurrection and the Life,
&c." From this circumstance we infer that he was a religious young man.
Matthias and Jane Skilbeck had issues
SECOND. RICHARD, born Feby. 20th, 1770 for notices of whom, see page 119
THIRD, MARY, born April 19th, 1772. She was married to William Wilson, of
Sinnethwaite, near Walton, April 1st, 1793. About a year after her marriage,
when there was some revival of religion in the neighbour-hood, she was
savingly converted to God, and was probably-the means of bringing her husband
to a more intimate acquaintance, and ultimately to a close connection with
the Methodists. This was not long after her own conversion. Previous to this
he had borne the character of being a steady moral man, but did not much like
the Methodists; being a regular attender, he was a great stickler for the
church. it after his con-version, he became a very amiable man, possessed of
great evenness of temper, and being very zealous in the cause of God, he was
soon observed as one fit to sustain the various offices which Methodism so
liberally provided for laymen, He was soon appointed to the office of class
leader, and I believe held it to his dying day. For several years previous to
his death, he was the principal and acting steward of the Wetherby Circuit.
His last illness was short, terminating fatally July 3rd, 1811, he being 51
years of age.
     When he was a young man, he was very fond of a gun, and on the
5th Novr. they had always a party of shooters. Father-in-law and
Uncle Robert used to be of these parties, and though these shooting
parties were discontinued after his and his wife's conversion, yet for
many years after he was very fond of a shot, in their own farm.
     In early life she was not so light and giddy, as some girls are.
She was always fond of a book, and by this means principally came to
have her mind well stored with useful knowledge, so that when in the
right mood, she was a very agreeable companion, and had the general
character of being a very sensible woman. But there was a keenness of
wit, which often vented itself in sarcasm, and mixed up with an undue
measure of selfishness, often exhibited a kind of envious feeling, at
the prosperity of others, and the cutting sneer, the biting sarcasm, the
taunting repartee, often made others feel that she was a dangerous woman
to be in company with.
Page 110  After the death of her husband, her situation became a very impor-
tant and responsible one. A large farm, a family of young people, the
cares of this life pressed heavily upon her, and however clever in
domestic matters, yet she had not the art of governing her children well,
so that some of them, when grown up, did not treat her with that respect
and kindness which was her due. She, however, maintained her position for a
number of years, I believe until her eldest son was about to marry. Then
she removed with her daughters Catharine and Jane to York, where they
resided several years.
After remaining a widow about twenty years, and being left of all her
family, she again entered the married state with John Cordeus of Barnsby.
He was perhaps a little older than her, but not much, was a religious man,
had been successful in business, but had given it up to his sons, and with
him I have understood she lived very comfortably for a few years. For it
was not long ere he was taken from her. She remained his widow for some
years, during which time she paid us a visit at Kirkby, and stayed with us a
few days, making herself very agreeable. At her last husband's request she
fixed her permanent residence among his family at Barnsby, that is, at the
town, not living with any of them. In the decline of life, she suffered
much in body. She was very lame of one hip for several years, and in her last
affliction endured very much, her disease a cancer in her privates. She had
one of her son John's daughters with her for some time at last, and
departed this life June 4th, 1845, aged 73.
She had issue by her first husband:
1st. --Mary, married to Isaac Newton, of Thorncliffe Iron Works,
near Sheffield, Deer. 30th, 1818. About a year after she lost her husband, who
came to a violent death by an explosion of liquid iron. He had a
posthumous son, who, when a little boy, was once at our house with his
mother, but he died when he was four or five years of age. After remaining
a widow some years, she married Revd. Paites Heaswell, a Wesleyan Minister,
and she still remains happy with her husband in the itinerant work (1856).
2nd. -- John, who succeeded his mother on the farm at Linnethwaite. He
married Augst. 19th, 1817 Margaret Skilbeck (maiden name Nottingham), the
widow of Richd. Skilbeck, of Bilton Village, near York. After bearing him three
or four children, she departed this life. She was a very odd sort of woman, and
they :had only a very uncomfortable life together, but nobody that knew him,
laid it all at her door. She was a very active woman and a clever housewife, but
was so crooked in her temper, and such a harsh mistress, that she frequently
changed her servants as often as the moon revolved his monthly rounds, and
yet was oftest without. In her last illness, she was deeply penitent before God,
and it is hoped died in peace. One of her daughters married
Wood, a spirit merchant in Leeds. but he failed, and is now 1856( in a
respectable situation at Goole. Their second daughter married John
Stephenson of Wighill, who, I am informed, makes her a very poor husband.
Their only son, Willi m, was so ill treated at home that at length he emigrated to
America. After being there some years, he came back in miserable plight, but
still being restless, and unhappy, and his father and friends providing him with a
little money, he again left the Kingdom, and I have heard that he has been
Send mail to Michael Chance & Andy Stables at with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2004 Andy Stables
Last modified: December 12, 2006